Updated: Aug 31
Lots of positive things have been happening in the Whitsundays, and continue to do so. I have never seen the town so busy as it was in August 2023. In this post I'll just mention just a few things that are occurring ...
1. The Airlie Beach Hotel re-opened after extensive renovations, and the city foreshore adjacent to the hotel (and to the north and west) was extensively redesigned/recreated . A Queensland-based group has since consolidated its interest in the hotel, acquiring the property freehold 10 months after securing the leasehold interest.
2. The Abell Point Marina business (pictured below) purchased Coral Sea Resort. This has already transformed that particular section of the foreshore in a very positive manner (the blue pointer indicates the location of our house, by the way).
3. Daydream Island re-opened after a lengthy process of reconstruction and renovation that included the construction of a giant aquarium. Hayman Island has also re-opened following it's own process of major upgrading and transformation.
4. The Whitsunday airport near Proserpine completed an impressive expansion project in 2020. This included the installation of new screens for advertising (one of which is pictured below). The most recent development there has been the establishment of a dining facility operated by Kevin Collins of Airlie Beach's 'Fish D'vine' fame.
5. Take a look at what's now underway at Shute Harbour ... "A group of businessmen are planning an ambitious $350m resort for Shute Harbour in what will be the first major hotel and marina precinct to be launched in the Whitsundays in 20 years" (29 April 2022)
More detailed information about any these projects or events is available via a targeted Google search.